# 🔬 Research
This information is updated periodically and will change from time to time. The information is offered here to assist collaborators to understand where they may stand with their own contribution with respect to the discovering of the critical path to Handshake achieving success in its design and mission.
We maintain this list so that you may be aware of what we are aware of, and where we think each piece may fit in the puzzle. We also hope that by sharing this information new collaborators with new pieces of the puzzle can step forward and contribute on this project.
# Objectives and Topics
To identify the critical path to a sustainable, secure, and durable decentralized fractal asset registry (DFAR) capable of organic Handshake top-level domain management using multisig wallet functionality or any governance scheme, fractionalization with provable immutability of the share issuance policy such that at each subsequent name layer the domain owner can audit the terms of their registration policy as a native smart contract on chain.
To explore and investigate the innovations enabled by the following initiatives, projects and technologies
- the UTxO and eUTxO
- proof-of-work chains
- Cardano (opens new window) - proof-of-stake chains
- stake pools, and how they function to coordinate humans into communities joined by a common cause while maintaining free association and fully spendable funds
- seeking to develop best practices for protocol and community governance
- native asset tokens
- decentralized web services
- decentralized sovereign identity, data, and credentials on blockchain
- NiPoPoWs (Non-Interactive-Proofs-of-Proof-of-Work) (opens new window)
- already implemented in Ergo
- possible in all existing Proof-of-Work blockchains that use UTxO, such as Handshake, by use of a retroactive 'velvet fork' (opens new window).
- large network traffic efficiency boost
- can lock assets from one chain into another
- creates the possibility for an omnichain, or a massively interdependent structure of blockchains
- affords new possibilities in transaction constructions for privacy,
- provably secure cross-chain atomic swaps -- one native asset spent on one chain that securely results in assets transfered on another PoW blockchain.
- domain-specific languages (DSL) for describing financial smart contracts
- open-source DEXs
- p2p agent-centric application layer
- zero-knowledge proofs
- Sidechains like Milkomeda (opens new window), that increase liquidity of the distributed skill pool for smart contract development across the Cardano-Ethereum boundaries with the launch of its EVM.
- p2p social technology, research, pedagogical resources and methodology